Following its third test of a nuclear bomb in February 2013, North Korea said it would restart a five-megawatt reactor and other facilities at the Yongbyon nuclear plant, north of Pyongyang. Since then, Western analysts that study satellite images have found various indications of activity at the complex, including the apparent release of hot water from the reactor.
Tuesday’s state media report cited the director of North Korea’s Atomic Energy Institute as confirming that all the facilities at Yongbyon had “started normal operation” in line with the 2013 declaration. The official, who wasn’t named, was also said quoted as saying that scientists were “steadily improving the levels of nuclear weapons with various missions in quality and quantity.”
In addition to the five-megawatt reactor at Yongbyon, which produces plutonium for bombs, North Korea also has facilities at the site to enrich uranium. It isn’t clear if North Korea has developed any uranium-based bombs, but Western analysts generally believe it has up to around 10 plutonium-based devices. China’s estimates are higher.
Despite North Korea’s assertion that the Yongbyon plant was operating normally, experts say that satellite imagery suggests the reactor hasn’t been running smoothly over the past two years. Problems have included ensuring a constant supply of cooling water, they say. It also isn’t clear if North Korea has a sufficient supply of fuel rods to power the reactor.
The Yongbyon reactor, built in the 1980s with the Soviet Union’s help, is North Korea’s only source of plutonium for its weapons program. It has been shut and restarted repeatedly over the past few decades: typically shut after the latest aid-for-disarmament deal with the U.S. and other countries and eventually restarted to give North Korea new leverage.
The latest report comes a day after North Korea said it was in the final phase of developing a new satellite, fueling speculation it would launch a long-range rocket in a move that many outside nations would see as a covert missile test. Some North Korea watchers anticipate the nation will stage its sixth long-range rocket launch around the Oct. 10 anniversary of the founding of the ruling Workers’ Party.
North Korea is widely believed to be seeking the ability to deliver a nuclear bomb with an intercontinental ballistic missile. While it isn’t clear how far along it is in that quest, Pyongyang frequently boasts it can threaten the U.S. mainland with nuclear attack.
China’s Foreign Ministry spokesman, Hong Lei, said at a daily media briefing Tuesday that Beijing hoped North Korea would refrain from actions that would raise tensions on the Korean peninsula, adding that North Korea as a sovereign nation had the right to the peaceful use of outer space.
On Monday, a U.S. State Department spokesman said any new rocket launch by North Korea would be considered a violation of United Nations Security Council resolutions barring tests of ballistic missile technology
ต่อไปนี้การทดสอบสามของระเบิดนิวเคลียร์ใน 2556 กุมภาพันธ์ เกาหลีเหนือกล่าวว่า มันจะรีสตาร์ทเครื่องปฏิกรณ์ 5 เมกะวัตต์และสิ่งอำนวยความสะดวกอื่น ๆ ที่โรงนิวเคลียร์ Yongbyon ทางเหนือของเปียงยาง ตั้งแต่ตะวันตก จากนั้นวิเคราะห์ว่า ภาพดาวเทียมศึกษาพบข้อบ่งชี้ต่าง ๆ ของกิจกรรมที่ซับซ้อน รวมรุ่นชัดเจนน้ำร้อนจากเครื่องปฏิกรณ์ของอังคารรัฐสื่อรายงานอ้างผู้อำนวยการ สถาบันพลังงานปรมาณูของเกาหลีเหนือเป็นการยืนยันว่า สิ่งอำนวยความสะดวกทั้งหมดที่ Yongbyon มี "เริ่มต้นการดำเนินงานปกติ" สอดคล้องกับการประกาศ 2013 อย่างเป็นทางการ ที่ไม่ได้ชื่อ ยังกล่าวอ้างถึงคำพูดที่ นักวิทยาศาสตร์ได้ "อย่างต่อเนื่องปรับปรุงระดับของอาวุธนิวเคลียร์ ด้วยภารกิจต่าง ๆ ในปริมาณและคุณภาพ"นอกจากเครื่องปฏิกรณ์ 5 เมกะวัตต์ที่ Yongbyon ที่ผลิตพลูโทเนียมระเบิด เกาหลีเหนือยังมีสิ่งอำนวยความสะดวกที่ไซต์แก่ยูเรเนียม ไม่ชัดเจนว่าเกาหลีเหนือได้พัฒนาระเบิดใช้ยูเรเนียม แต่นักวิเคราะห์ตะวันตกโดยทั่วไปเชื่อว่าถึงอุปกรณ์ที่ใช้พลูโทเนียม 10 ประเมินของจีนจะสูงขึ้นแม้ มีการตรวจสอบเงื่อนไขของเกาหลีเหนือที่พืช Yongbyon ถูกดำเนินการโดยปกติ ผู้เชี่ยวชาญกล่าวว่า ภาพถ่ายดาวเทียมแนะนำเครื่องปฏิกรณ์ยังไม่ได้วิ่งได้อย่างราบรื่นผ่านมาสองปี พวกเขากล่าวว่า ปัญหารวมมั่นใจอุปทานคงที่ของน้ำเย็น มันยังไม่ชัดเจนว่าเกาหลีเหนือมีปริมาณที่เพียงพอของแท่งเชื้อเพลิงเครื่องปฏิกรณ์พลังThe Yongbyon reactor, built in the 1980s with the Soviet Union’s help, is North Korea’s only source of plutonium for its weapons program. It has been shut and restarted repeatedly over the past few decades: typically shut after the latest aid-for-disarmament deal with the U.S. and other countries and eventually restarted to give North Korea new leverage.The latest report comes a day after North Korea said it was in the final phase of developing a new satellite, fueling speculation it would launch a long-range rocket in a move that many outside nations would see as a covert missile test. Some North Korea watchers anticipate the nation will stage its sixth long-range rocket launch around the Oct. 10 anniversary of the founding of the ruling Workers’ Party.North Korea is widely believed to be seeking the ability to deliver a nuclear bomb with an intercontinental ballistic missile. While it isn’t clear how far along it is in that quest, Pyongyang frequently boasts it can threaten the U.S. mainland with nuclear attack.China’s Foreign Ministry spokesman, Hong Lei, said at a daily media briefing Tuesday that Beijing hoped North Korea would refrain from actions that would raise tensions on the Korean peninsula, adding that North Korea as a sovereign nation had the right to the peaceful use of outer space.On Monday, a U.S. State Department spokesman said any new rocket launch by North Korea would be considered a violation of United Nations Security Council resolutions barring tests of ballistic missile technology
การแปล กรุณารอสักครู่..
