In 1894 King Chulalongkorn placed Mueang Prachuap under Mueang Phetchaburi. In 1898 he moved the district office from Mueang Kui to Ko Lak bay (also known as Prachuap Bay).
In 1906 the monarch merged Mueang Pranburi, Kamnoed Nopphakhun and Prachuap, and established Mueang Pranburi to keep the name of Mueang Pran. The new city was made a province under the control of Monthon Ratchaburi. To prevent confusion of the city names, King Vajiravudh (Rama 6) changed the district name that was on Prachuap Bay back to Prachuap Khiri Khan on 16 August 1915.[1]