The Memphis Brooks Museum of Art was founded in 1916 and is the oldest art museum in Tennessee. The original Beaux-Arts building was donated by Bessie Vance Brooks in memory of her husband, Samuel Hamilton Brooks. In 1955, a new wing was added, and in 1989, the building was expanded to double the square footage. There are 29 galleries, art classrooms, a research library, and a restaurant. The permanent collection has over 7,000 works of art, including the Samuel H. Kress Collection of Renaissance and Baroque paintings, the Hugo N. Dixon collection of Impressionist paintings, and a fine collection of English portraits.