he original location of Mueang Tha Uthen was at present-day tambon Chaiburi, then named Chai Rit Uttaburi (ไชยฤทธิ์อุตตบุรี). It was founded in 1808 by the Thai Yao leader Thao Mo and his wife, Su Nan Tha, who moved people from Mueang Hong Sawadi of present-day Laos. Thao Mo was then awarded with the title Phraya Hong Sawadi.
In 1814 the temple (Wat) Si Sunan Tha Maha Aram was built, which later got called Wat Tai Phum.
In 1833, Phra Ya Maha Amat, a military leader moved people from the Lao side of Mekong River and settled them on the Thai side of the river. Thao Prathum was the first leader of Tha Uthen city and received the title Phra Si Worasan.
After Phra Si Worasan died in 1866, Phra Cham Roenphol was promoted as the leader of the city.
In 1870 King Mongkut assigned his son Phra Si Worarat to be the leader of Tha Uthen. He died in 1899. Later the Ministry of Interior decided that the city should no longer have a royal family member as its leader, but be led by an assigned governor.
In 1907 the Mueang was converted into a district. Chanthima Phondecha became the first district office