Police figures released last week showed that 402 drug suspects had been killed since Duterte was sworn in at the end of June. That figure does not include those slain by suspected vigilantes. The country's top broadcaster, ABS- CBN, reported that 603 people had been killed since Duterte's May election, with 211 murdered by unidentified gunmen. Duterte has not condemned vigilante killings. He has previously promoted them. The tough-talking former mayor of Davao City mentioned the image of Olaires holding her husband in his state of the union address in late July and said the media had tried to portray it as being like Michelangelo's "Pieta" the sculpture of Mary holding the body of Jesus. Olaires concedes that her husband was a drug user but says it is impossible he was a dealer because they were too poor and could barely pay for their next meal. Siaron made money by driving a pedi cab and doing odd jobs. He even voted for Duterte in the May 9 election. "They must kill the ones who don't deserve to live anymore, the ones who are a menace to society. Because they cause harm to others. But not the inno- cent people" she said. "I don't need the public's sympathy. I don't need the president to notice us. I know that he doesn't like this kind of people. But for me, I just hope that they get the true offenders."