The Church of Laying Our Lady's Holy Robe (or the Church of the Deposition of the Robe) was a home church of Russian Metropolitans and Patriarchs. It was built in 1484-1485 by Pskov's stone-layers . The name of the church is linked with a Byzantine festival known since V century. According to a legend, the festival was set up to the memory of transferring of Virgin Mary's Holy Robe from Palestine to Constantinople.
The Cathedral's main icon ( to the right of the King's gate) represents the ceremonial laying of the holy on the altar throne of the Court Emperor's Cathedral
A fresco showing Byzantine emperor Michael III and Patriarch Photios putting the veil of the Theotokos into the sea.